Follow the USA road trip! Get blog updates via e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:
South Carolina Parks
South Carolina Hiking Trails
South Carolina Campgrounds
South Carolina (SC)
South Carolina is the 40th largest State, with 30,111 sq. miles of land.
South Carolina's largest cities include Columbia, Charleston, North Charleston, Greenville, and Spartanburg.
South Carolina shares a border with Georgia and North Carolina.
Did you know that ...
You may also be interested to know that ...
- The South Carolina State Bird is the Great Carolina Wren.
- The South Carolina State Flower is the Yellow Jessamine (gelsemium sempervirens).
- The South Carolina State Tree is the Cabbage Palmetto (sabal palmetto).
- The South Carolina State Dog is the Boykin Spaniel (1985) "The Boykin Spaniel was designated the official State Dog by Act Number 31 of 1985. The Boykin Spaniel is the only dog that was originally bred by South Carolinians and has developed into a breed of superb hunting instincts and mild temperament. Boykins are currently found throughout the United States and are highly regarded as pets and hunting dogs."
The U.S. Flag, South Carolina state flag and U.S. currency:
- The capital city of South Carolina is Columbia.
- South Carolina became a State on May 23, 1788 (8th).
- South Carolina's motto is "Animis Opibusque Parati" (Prepared in Soul and Resources).
- South Carolina's nickname is "Palmetto State".
- South Carolina's State song is "Carolina".
Access South Carolina terrain maps, USGS 7.5-minute, 1:24,000-scale quadrangle (quad) series topo maps of South Carolina, 15-minute, 1:63,360-scale quad series topo maps of South Carolina and 30-minute quad topographic maps: Topo Maps
Choose Another State... Select a State on a Map of the United States!