Follow the USA road trip! Get blog updates via e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:
Louisiana Hiking Trails
Louisiana is the 33rd largest State, with 43,566 sq. miles of land.
Louisiana's largest cities include New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, and Kenner.
Louisiana shares a border with Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas.
Did you know that ...
You may also be interested to know that ...
- The Louisiana State Bird is the Eastern Brown Pelican.
- The Louisiana State Flower is the Magnolia (magnolia).
- The Louisiana State Tree is the Bald Cypress (taxodium distichum).
- The Louisiana State Dog is the Catahoula Leopard Dog (1979) "(Act 239) The Catahoula Leopard Dog is the only breed of dog native to Louisiana and became our official state dog in 1979. This hound is a cross of a domestic dog the Indians of the Catahoula Lake region raised and a Spanish "war dog" that came through the area in the early 1500's. The dog has glassy eyes, webbed feet, and spotted coat and is gentle with children, loyal to family, and aggressive to strangers, making it a good pet and guard dog. As a hunting dog the animal is diligent, dependable, efficient and especially good at tracking deer, coons and squirrels."
The U.S. Flag, Louisiana state flag and U.S. currency:
- The capital city of Louisiana is Baton Rouge.
- Louisiana became a State on April 30, 1812 (18th)
- Louisiana's motto is "Union, justice, and confidence".
- Louisiana's nickname is "Pelican State".
- Louisiana's State song is "Give Me Louisiana".
Access Louisiana terrain maps, USGS 7.5-minute, 1:24,000-scale quadrangle (quad) series topo maps of Louisiana, 15-minute, 1:63,360-scale quad series topo maps of Louisiana and 30-minute quad topographic maps: Topo Maps
Choose Another State... Select a State on a Map of the United States!