Follow the USA road trip! Get blog updates via e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:
Alaska Hiking Trails
Alaska is the largest State, with 570,374 sq. miles of land.
Alaska's largest cities include Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Sitka, and Soldotna.
Alaska does not share a border with other States.
Did you know that ...
You may also be interested to know that ...
- The Alaska State Bird is the Willow Ptarmigan.
- The Alaska State Flower is the Forget Me Not (myosotis alpestris).
- The Alaska State Tree is the Sitka spruce (picea sitchensis).
- The Alaska State Dog is the Alaskan Malamute (2010) House Bill 14, "The Alaskan Malamute has played an important role in Alaska's history for at least four thousand years. Considered one of the twelve ancient breeds, the Alaskan Malamute evolved from the ancient dogs that accompanied prehistoric man in his migrations from Asia, reaching back to the earliest days of prehistory Alaska with the Mahlemut people, now known as Inuits, in Northwestern Alaska."
The U.S. Flag, Alaska state flag and U.S. currency:
- The capital city of Alaska is Juneau.
- Alaska became a State on January 3, 1959 (49th).
- Alaska's motto is "North To The Future".
- Alaska's nickname is "Last Frontier, Great Land, Land of the Midnight Sun".
- Alaska's State song is "Alaska's Flag".
Access Alaska terrain maps, USGS 7.5-minute, 1:24,000-scale quadrangle (quad) series topo maps of Alaska, 15-minute, 1:63,360-scale quad series topo maps of Alaska and 30-minute quad topographic maps: Topo Maps
Choose Another State... Select a State on a Map of the United States!